Wednesday, April 13, 2011

We Were At A Cajun Restaurant

We were at a Cajun restaurant
A whole group of us
We parked our cars in grassy fields
But it was raining, torrential
There started to be mudslides
And I worried how we would leave
Rich people landed their helicopters
They wouldn’t have the mud to worry about
This was a very popular Cajun restaurant.

I was very thirsty, and behind me were sitting my parents
They had a pitcher of water, so I got up to get some
Then I had to pee, so I went to the back of the restaurant
To find the bathroom.
It turns out it was at the front of the restaurant.
I don’t remember if I made it there
Because then you grabbed my hand.
You knew I had been ignoring you all night
Avoiding you, my Mol.

I was trying to be strong at this Cajun restaurant
And not let all my demons follow me here
But there you were
And we were saying goodbye again.
That was when I first said I didn’t know if I’d ever see you again
You couldn’t give me a straight answer.

We hugged profusely, warm and tight.
Parting ways, I was heading to the bar for
Two shots of Jameson
But instead I went outside
Through the front doors of the Cajun restaurant.

Maybe I was going to find my car
In the field, see if I could just leave this place already
But there you were, sitting with all your other friends
They waved me over, but the last thing I wanted to be around
Was people, other than you.

You came up to me and said,
“KMo said you should hate the player, not the game
And she did a sassy snap of her fingers.”
All your friends walked past us,
Their number must have been called
To go eat inside the Cajun restaurant.

I said I hated the game, but I was in love with the player.
I avoided making eye contact, so you grabbed my face.
You said “close your eyes.”

You pressed your lips to mine.
Before I even realized what was happening.
They were dry, chapped, rough.
I touched my tongue to them
Just to provide lubrication
I wasn’t certain you wanted me inside your mouth.
I decided to try to make this a kiss to remember
For you
For as many nanoseconds as you were letting me
Your lips were so dry
Not used to passion, love, yearning, urgency.

You gave me the one gift I’ve never had.

We parted after not nearly enough time
And I repeated, “When will I see you again?”
You didn’t have an answer.
We hugged and then you walked away.
You had gone above and beyond, you thought.
But to me, you sliced my heart wide open.
I already thought it impossible to forget you before then.

I don’t keep you trapped in my basement under the earth
With closure unfulfilled
I wasn’t the one who planted the idea in your brain
Quite the opposite, baby.
You’ve got me trapped down here
Closer to the equator than you’ve ever been
Your dry, chapped, Northern lips
Haunt my dreams, not the other way around
And I wake up
Surrounded by the bars of my prison
Asking over and over,
When will I see you again?

No comments:

Post a Comment